When I created my Nairaland account in 2011, I found it hard to create threads or reply threads. I only checked the homepage for latest news, read comments until I abandoned the site later on. After some time, I came back, took more time navigating the site until I understood the site perfectly.
In this article, I will show you how to create a thread (post), reply comments and other basic things on Nairaland.
Why you should Interact on Nairaland
There are lots of topics on Nairaland and it is only human to interact with other site users; Nairalanders as they are usually called. Sometimes, you may see an educative post and you might have questions to ask; if you do not know how to reply threads, you won’t be able to ask questions.
I use Nairaland to promote my business. You have to know how to create a thread and reply threads to be able to do this.
In fact, Nairaland is more fun when you are also able to join the conversation.
How to Create a Thread on Nairaland
A thread can also be called a post. To create a thread, you need to have a registered Nairaland account. Visit www.nairaland.com/register to create an account if you do not already have.
Before I show you how to post on Nairaland, you need to understand the different categories on Nairaland.
Nairaland has different categories for each kind of post/threads. Check the screenshot below;
As you can see from the screenshot above, there are categories for politics, crime, education, business etc. If you click on any of those categories, you will find only threads/post related to the category name.
Therefore, if you want to create a new post on Nairaland, you have to post it in the right category. In fact, it is against Nairaland’s rule to create a thread that is not relevant to the category.
Now, to create a new thread on Nairaland, simply click on the appropriate category that suits the topic you want to post about.
While on the new page, click on “create new topic”. See the image below to understand better.
On the next page, you will be required to enter the subject of the post (the title of the post) and the content in the message box.
1. Subject: This is where you write the heading or title of the post. You can write whatever you like in the subject box but it’s better to keep it short. The subject should also say what the content is all about.
2. Content format: You can add different styles to the main content of your post. For example, you could make a word bold, write words in italics or strike-through. There are few emoticons that can be used too.
3. Main Body: In this area, you type the contents of your message. You type in the message you want to pass across to people. The content in the main body should correspond with the title of the post.
4. Submit Button: After writing the message, click the submit button if you are satisfied with it.
5. Images: If you would like to add images to your post, this function will help you do so. Click on “choose file”, select the image you want to upload from your computer or phone then click the submit button.
After posting, you can still modify the post if you are not satisfied with it.
How to Reply Threads on Nairaland
To reply a thread is also the same thing as commenting on a post.
I find it interesting to browse through the various topics on Nairaland, read the articles and other peoples comments. Most times, I also drop my own comments.
To reply a thread, you first have to open the post, read through the post to get what the post is all about, then click on the reply button to reply. See the image below.
The reply button can be found at the beginning of the post and at the end.
You could also quote someone else’s comment. There are many reasons you could want to Quote someone on a web forum like Nairaland.
It could be because you like what they said, you want to add to what they said etc.
To do this, just click on “Quote post” while reading the comments.
Note that, you have to be logged in to reply to comments or quote someone.
Emm… What else? Is there anything I have not explained about posting on Nairaland? Do let me know in the comment section.