Last updated on June 20th, 2020 by Chris. Akuneme
The West African Examination Council, WAEC, has begun the sale of its WASSCE for private candidates also known as WAEC GCE.
The WAEC GCE form will be on sale from Wednesday, June 10th to Friday, July 31st, 2020.
Candidates must complete the WAEC GCE registration within two weeks of accessing the GCE registration portal before the deadline.
While the WAEC GCE registration form cost 13,950 Naira, candidates are also expected to pay 500 Naira extra to the banks or accredited agents for the WAEC GCE pin and information VCD.
- Where to Buy WAEC GCE Registration Pin
- How to Register for WAEC GCE Examination
- General Information for WAEC GCE Exam
- Important Tips for WAEC GCE Candidates
- 1. Choose the Right Subject Combination
- 2. Cross Check your Bio data
- 3. Try to Make Good Grades at One Sitting
- 4. Write down your Examination Number
- 5. Download the WAEC GCE Timetable
Where to Buy WAEC GCE Registration Pin
The pin will be used for the registration. When you purchase the WAEC GCE pin, you will be given an information VCD. The GCE Registration pin can be gotten at the following banks nationwide;
- Access Bank Plc
- Ecobank Ltd
- Fidelity Bank Plc
- First Bank Of Nigeria
- Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB)
- WEMA Bank
- First City Monument Bank
- Heritage Bank
- JAIZ Bank
- Sterling Bank
- Polaris Bank.
- Stanbic IBTC Bank
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Union Bank of Nigeria
- Zenith Bank
- United Bank of Africa (UBA)
- Unity Bank PLC
The WAEC GCE registration pin can also be gotten at WAEC accredited centers.
How to Register for WAEC GCE Examination
After purchasing the pin from the places stated above, candidates can visit WAEC website at www.waeconline.org to complete registration. Please note that biometrics capturing will be done during registration.
The computer used for registration must have a biometric capturing device attached to it.
WAEC GCE candidates can also go to Cybercafes/Business centres in their neighbourhood for registration if they do not have the devices for online registration.
Candidates who have any form of disability or impairment will also register online like other candidates but it must be clearly stated the kind of disability while filling the form.
Candidates should also make sure that the Names, date of birth, gender, subjects, passport photographs and every other information are filled correctly.
Wrong information will affect such candidates in the future and will require extra charges for correction. Check our WAEC frequently asked questions post to know more about this.
General Information for WAEC GCE Exam
- Examination fees are not refundable after purchase.
- Candidates should view the VCD they were given after purchase of pin before they register for the examination.
- Candidates should ensure they print the examination Timetable at the completion of their registration. This is to ensure they know their exam date and time.
- Entries must be uploaded with good quality passport size photographs, not “wait and get” photographs. The background of such photographs MUST NOT BE BLUE OR RED. The size should be 275 by 314 pixels. Entries with unacceptable passport photographs will be rejected.
- Candidates should go through the WAEC GCE Syllabuses and regulations as well as the Timetable for the examination which they can download from WAEC’s website (www.waeconline.org.ng) using their registration PIN.
- Candidates should go to the exam hall with mufti. Uniforms of any kind are not allowed
- The whole results of candidates who sit for the exam in more than one center will be seized.
- Smoking and alcohol are not allowed in the examination hall.
- Candidates that come into the examination hall with a mobile phone, electronic or communication gadgets will have his/her entire results canceled.
- All candidates must ensure that their entries are correctly uploaded, as the Council will not be held responsible for errors in candidates’ particulars. request for correction will be entertained on any information which a candidate voluntarily gives at the point of registration as soon as the examination commences.
- Candidates must come into the examination hall with their original photo cards.
- Candidates who engage in examination malpractice will not only have their results canceled but may be prosecuted.
Important Tips for WAEC GCE Candidates
1. Choose the Right Subject Combination
Some candidates pick the wrong subject combinations during their G.C.E registrations.
Your subject combination should tally with the course you want to study in higher institution.
Before applying for the GCE form, you should do check the subject combination of the course you want to apply for in tertiary institutions first. This would help you avoid future mishaps.
Some of the mandatory subjects include;
Art candidates: Mathematics, English Language, Literature in English and Government.
Commercial candidates: Mathematics, English Language, Economics, Commerce, Accounting and Government.
Science candidates: Mathematics, English Language, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Geography.
2. Cross Check your Bio data
Your bio data are your names, date of birth, state of origin and local government of origin.
Once you are done with your registration, make sure you check if these information were filled correctly on your form.
You can check your birth certificate to see your how your names are arranged and your date of birth.
3. Try to Make Good Grades at One Sitting
It is always advisable you get good grades in your core subjects at one sitting so that when you are applying for tertiary education, you can use a single result instead of combining.
Some schools give bonus marks to candidates who apply with one result.
While applying for tertiary institutions, a single mark matters a lot.
4. Write down your Examination Number
Some candidates misplace their exam numbers after writing the WAEC GCE exam. This could be an issue when you need to check your result or collect the original certificate.
We advise you scan your WAEC GCE photo card and save it in Google drive.
5. Download the WAEC GCE Timetable
You definitely do not want to miss your exams. Downloading a copy of the WAEC GCE timetable to your device allows you to access it anytime. You could also print the time table out for easier access.
Click here to download the WAEC GCE exam timetable.
We hope this article has shown you all you need to know about the WAEC GCE registration for 2020/2021 academic session. You may also want to see our article on answers to WAEC frequently asked questions.